Grimoire Gouf Custom



MS-07B Grimoire

An HG kitbash presented in 1/100 scale.

Kits used: HG Grimoire, HG Zaku F2000, HG Black Tri-stars Zaku Origin ver, HG Geara Zulu Angelo Sauper ver, MG Zaku 2.0, HG Hyakuren, HG build campaign parts.


I built this kit with a fun goal in mind. Can I make a Grimoire look like a Gouf custom without using any of it's parts?
The answer is a resounding yes!
Although some artistic license is taken with the design, most Gundam fans could easily identify which grunt suit this little guy is cosplaying as.

I dropped some design elements of the Gouf that I really don't like such as the shoulder spikes and energy cables. I usually like cabling on Zeon MS quite a lot but for some reason the way they are placed on the Gouf really irks me.
A 1/100 scale command fin is used to match the size of the Grimoire head and really underscore the commander suit vibe.
I grafted a Zaku 1 round shoulder onto the stock piece to give a nice Zeon suit look. 
The opposite shoulder uses a Hyakuren side skirt as supplemental armor and is a callback to Reach era Halo Spartans.

Weathering on this project was done in many layers. I started with grey and brown acrylics for additive chipping, then enamel washes and filters. Finally I applied dry pigment for newer rust as well as accumulated dust. Each layer was protected by an acrylic gloss varnish.

The gatling gun has 9 layers of washes applied to simulate burnt, worn metal.

A Gouf needs a heat sword and this one was donated by a Barbatos. I wanted to keep with the theme of not using a part directly but finding a good analogue.




His gatling shield is built up from a build campaign weapon grafted onto the Zaku F2000's arm unit. The ammo drum and belt are kotobukiya option parts.
 All the parts are magnetized for easy disassembly.


It took many layers of metallics and earth tones to get the gun barrels where I wanted them but I think it came out killer.
The bluing effect was done with blue ink and glaze medium.



The Grimoire arm shield's basic shape is a good match for building the gatling shield.
I weathered it subtractively with hairspray and added a contrast panel.


The original idea was actually going to be in approximately 1/35 scale. A bit like a Ma.K Fireball.
I started this work during Newtype Hq's blackout build weekend as scribing practice.
Many many details were added to the suit.

0.3mm chisel lines with 1mm and 0.5mm notches. My goal was to indicate that the center panel could be removed to gain access to the entire arm casing.


I removed the bulbous thrusters on the legs and filled the gaps with epoxy putty. It took quite a bit of sanding and re-layering to get it flush.



The Zaku shoulder had a bit too much clearance toward the chest and didnt fit with the stock ball joint so I got creative and used one of Grimoire front skirt thrusters as a spacer. I had to thicken the ball joint a bit with CA glue to get a nice snug fit.
The backpack is from a high mobility Origin Zaku with a tank from Sauper's Geara Zulu. The assembly is again magnetized for easy painting.



Parts are base coated with Mr. Color cobalt blue.


Then I work towards the highlight with Splash sky blue which is a perfect Gouf blue.
I can not say enough good things about this paint range. If you're looking for a pre thinned lacquer check this stuff out.


One layer sprayed precisely at lower psi gives a nice center highlight and preserves pre shading.


A second light coat brings up the saturation and it does not let up. Even after 2 flat coats this stuff looks juicy.


At this point I mask off my contrast panels. Grey and orange respectively here, and put down a gloss coat to do my decal work.


 I used several different series decals on this project. Many from the MS IGLOO sheet, a few sleeves markings and warnings from Child of Mecha's awesome Mecha Decal series.



The Base



I pulled this base out of my scraps box and went to work rounding the edges because I thought it would be a good match for the soft Zeon curves of the suit.


Here you can see the styrene panels with epoxy putty filler for the joints. I also used layers of CA glue to create a seamless edge.


The core of the base is a scrap of hardwood which is filled with resin to protect it from rot. I dont like to use wood flush with my styrene because one of the components tends to crack when you try to join them.


I scribed the lines with my Tamiya P-scriber which is great for heavy duty work like this. Mistakes were fixed with Tamiya putty.


At this point I laid down a Mr. Hobby 500 grit primer both for ease of scribe work and to get a nice pig iron texture later. I added notches to the corners of each panel as well.


Here you can see the heavier line weight of the P-scriber lines. I added side panels for visual interest.


WAVE option parts added for more variation. These are 1/100 scale hatches.


Base rust tones for subtractive chipping using hair spray.


Lighter rust spots for contrast.


The first chipping layer. Two grey tones applied in a gradient and worn down with a large 2 inch brush.



The second layer, metallic applied in differing weights. This one was chipped down more selectively.


Added hazard marking and washes which doubled as panel liner. I also decided to use some photo etch accessories to make the base look a bit less barren.


Final layer. Dry rust, fuel stains, and verdigris.




This base was not meant to be strictly realistic. More of a caricature of gritty industrial decay.
I'm very happy with what I was able to render, it reminds of the good old days playing team deathmatch in Unreal '99 mixed with some warhammer 40k dioramas.

If you're interested in the paints I used on this project you can check out Newtype HQ for lacquers. Use my code "MRNVL" at checkout to save 10%!

Acrylics and pigments can be found on my Amazon Store. I earn a small commission for each product you buy which I always invest in Zeonic Corps events and contest prizes. I thank you in advance if you decide to use my links! It really helps us out.

Have questions? Check out My Links! You can find my IG as well as the Discords I frequent. I will always do my best to answer questions promptly.


That's it for this project enjoy some detail shots!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gundam builder's guide to IPMS

From the Backlog: You got Katoki'd

cyber demon