From the backlog: The lion stirs!

My custom build of Bandai's HGUC 1/144 Banshee Destroy/Norn


Since I first saw it in episode 4 of Unicorn the Banshee has been one of my favorite MS. Everything about it appeals to me, the claws the V-fin and of course the panel separation for the psycho frame.

When I saw the kit on the shelf of my local hobby store I was overjoyed, but can a mere high grade live up to my hopes?




I did a complete repaint for this kit based on a scheme by another modeler, The black has been replaced with white and grey and the psycho frame is candy teal.

For contrast.

 This suit's upper body is amazing. The separation makes it look truly striking.

 Backpack also looks really cool with that frame showing!

Unfortunately the Banshee destroy mode does not come with it's armed armor DE shield.

The legs despite being visually impressive have a very underwhelming range of motion. They connect to the waist via ball and socket joint, a very poor design choice.


Lightly weathered. The silver decals really make the greys pop.


 Lots of masking work was required for the "collar"



Daylight makes the psycho frame glow!



 Magnum pilfered from the Norn.

Needs more shields.

So did this kit live up to my hopes? Sadly the answer is no. The upper body is the saving grace of this kit and indeed I like it more as a bust than a completed model. The lack of posability in it's legs ruins this kit for me.
I would very much like to use this for a future kit bash mounting its parts on a different frame base. The MG version also has my attention though the fact that it "transforms" worries me.

The paints used on this kit are:
  • Gaia Notes Ultimate White for the body.
  • Gaia Neutral Grey III for the contrast.
  • Gaia German Grey for the accents.
  • Alclad Steel for the joints.
  • Alclad Brass for the feet and V-fin.
  • Gaia Clear Teal over Alclad Bright Silver Candy Base for the Psycho Frame.
  • Tamiya Light Gun Metal decanted and thinned 10% with Gaia's thinner for the mechanical details and thrusters.
  • The decals are the silver 1/144 version of the MG decals bought from samueldecal.


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gundam builder's guide to IPMS

From the Backlog: You got Katoki'd

Extreme Squad Lupus